Wednesday, February 26, 2014

CRAIGSLIST LINGERIE CHEST TURNED JEWELRY CABINET

I know its been awhile since I have posted, I guess I have been in a slump lately, and super busy. I have found myself not really having time to be creative, and when I do have a small amount I haven't been using it wisely.. but I guess if you love something you have to make the time. I really am going to try and set aside as much time as I can from now on :) SO now on to my first little project in a while..ready? 

I have a lot of jewelry, now its mostly costume jewelry not the real expensive stuff, but still have accumulated a lot of it over the years. When I would go into my jewelry box to find something it would take more time and effort than it should ever take, it's a little frustrating, but I fixed that! 

I found this lingerie chest on Craigslist for $20, and the fist thing I thought of when I seen it was that it would be perfect for my jewelry debacle. It definitely needed a makeover, but to me that is the fun part, right?



This is the picture from the Craigslist ad, its faux bamboo too, one of my favorites! These are made in the 70's and I personally think these older pieces are made so much better than the "new" stuff.


It was a little adventure getting this home, I got lost, and it started to rain and I didn't bring a tarp, but it survived.. fun times :)  I brought it in a cranked the heater to make sure it was good and dried out. I got to work on this the next day, the sun came out all day this Saturday finally, time to get my paint on. These were my weapons of choice...




First it got a good cleaning, and then the primer went on (love this primer) I did two coats. Next after primer was good and dry I used the Rust-oleum spray paint, this stuff is awesome too sticks to just about anything, I did three coats of the paint. After it all dried it looked so much better! But those pulls were not me so they had to go. I had these ring pulls that I got from a yard sale, they were on some old kitchen cabinet doors and the owners said that if I took all the doors they would be just give them to me, so I brought all the doors home and took off each pull, it took a little time but they were free. I gave them all a coat of the gold spray paint, attached them a wallah!




SO much better right? I love how it turned out. I had some plastic organizers not being used so I popped them into the drawers and loaded the jewelry in. I think the next Ikea trip I make I will be looking to get some better organizers but these will do for now.




It is so much easier finding what I am looking for now, and will be even better when I get more organizers, but in the mean time this has made it easier and saved me from some frustration :) For about $30 (that's both the chest and paint) for a HUGE jewelry box customized to me is fantastic!

How about you guys? What little changes has made your everyday life easier? I have another little change up happening in my head that I plan on doing very soon that I think will make life easier, I will be back soon to share!  Take Care!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Love to Hear from you!! Your comments are greatly appreciated!